Canada Goose jackets, a popular and controversial on-campus fashion

Meher Yada/Daily Senior Staffer

Canada Goose jackets are a source of controversy, from their high price point to material sources.

Pavan Acharya, Reporter

As rain turns to snow and the Midwestern tundra begins to reemerge at Northwestern, students are packing away their t-shirts and donning winter coats. As they do so, one brand is notorious among students on campus: Canada Goose.

The company sells a variety of different coats, ranging from winter parkas to light jackets. All of these use natural down from geese — a popular source of insulation in winter coats. Taylor Nuckolls, an employee at Gearhead Outfitters in downtown Evanston, believes Canada Goose jackets are the warmest jackets they sell, but said the brand’s use of animal parts can be problematic.

Some Canada Goose jackets utilize real coyote fur to trim the hood ruffs.

“The fur on the hood, that’s coyote fur, and the filling of the down that makes it so puffy is from goose feathers,” Nuckolls said. “People find that uncomfortable, which is reasonable.”

People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, one of the largest animal rights organizations in the world, has criticized Canada Goose for its treatment of animals. According to the organization, live coyotes and geese have been killed so their parts could be used for Canada Goose products.

Canada Goose has used natural furs in its coats and parkas for decades. However, by the end of 2022, the brand plans to begin selling jackets without any fur — a shift for the 64-year-old company.

Canada Goose jackets are also well-known for their relatively high price range. The brand’s parkas for men and women can range from $775 to $1,695.

Weinberg freshman Stephanie Rissmiller said the price point of Canada Goose jackets is excessive.

“They’re high quality, so I understand why you would buy them, but overall I just think they’re a waste because (someone) can get a very high quality jacket for a lot less,” Rissmiller said.

Rissmiller said she doesn’t think there is any real reason to wear a Canada Goose jacket aside from status.

Nuckolls also believes that there is a status element to Canada Goose jackets.

“If you ever see a Canada Goose you know, boujee, rich,” Nuckolls said. “Those kinds of words come up, so I think that just that alone, subconsciously can make people look at (a person who wears Canada Goose) differently in general.”

SESP freshman Juliet Rofé owns a Canada Goose jacket. She said she received the jacket as a gift from her grandparents in the hopes that she would feel more encouraged to attend NU if she had a warm coat.

“I honestly think it’s just a warm jacket to wear, and you should be able to wear whatever brands you want without being criticized,” Rofé said.

Rofé enjoys the style of her Canada Goose jacket, adding that it doesn’t feel bulky and is mostly waterproof.

Both Rissmiller and Nuckolls said there are other, cheaper jacket alternatives that consumers should consider. Rissmiller recommends that consumers consider an Eddie Bauer jacket or a coat of any athletic brand.

“I just don’t think that the association is worth it,” Rissmiller said. “It’s a bit annoying to see money spent in what I would see as a wasteful way, just for that association and maybe a slightly better jacket.”

Twitter: @PavanAcharya02