City Council approves creation of Reimagining Public Safety Committee

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

The Lorraine H. Morton Civic Center. City Council approved the creation of the Reimagining Public Safety Committee, tasked with analyzing the city’s public safety efforts and providing recommendations for the 2022 city budget.

Delaney Nelson, City Editor

City Council approved the creation of the Reimagining Public Safety Committee, an ad-hoc committee tasked with analyzing Evanston Police Department’s relationship with the city and presenting “community-informed” recommendations for the 2022 budget process, on Monday.

In one of his first acts as mayor, Mayor Daniel Biss announced the formation of the committee at the first meeting of the 81st City Council. According to a memo prepared by Deputy City Manager Kimberly Richardson, the committee will review the city’s funding allocation in relation to public safety and police department functions and allocations. 

Committee members will also evaluate internal police department policies, external accountability and crime reduction tactics. They will serve without compensation, according to the memo. Data from EPD and other city entities will be made available to committee members. 

Biss will serve as the committee’s chair. Evanston Fight for Black Lives, Connections for the Homeless, Citizens’ Network of Protection, James B. Moran Center for Youth Advocacy and YWCA Evanston/North Shore are all represented.

City officials on the committee include Alds. Bobby Burns (5th), Devon Reid (8th) and Cicely Fleming (9th).

Marcus Campbell will represent Evanston Township High School, Andrew Papachristos will represent Northwestern and Melissa Sacluti will represent EPD. 

The committee’s first term will expire at the end of 2021. The city will complete an annual review of the committee, and can renew it up to three additional times.

Twitter: @delaneygnelson