Northwestern extends remote learning for rest of spring quarter

Daniel Tian

Rebecca Crown Center. Northwestern recently announced a move to remote learning for the rest of Spring Quarter.

Marissa Martinez, Editor in Chief

After the first day of remote learning, Northwestern has extended remote learning for the rest of Spring Quarter, University President Morton Schapiro wrote in a Monday night email.

Students, faculty and staff were previously waiting until April 17 to hear from administrators about whether in-person classes would resume for the remainder of the quarter.

“The latest guidance from local, state and federal officials makes clear this will not be feasible. Therefore, with heavy hearts, we are announcing that we will maintain the current, remote format for the entirety of Spring Quarter,” read the email, signed by Schapiro, Interim Provost Hagerty and Vice President for Student Affairs Julie Payne-Kirchmeier. 

The email also said a decision about Evanston graduation in mid-June has still not been reached. In a March 20 email, Schapiro had written that he still planned to hold graduation in mid-June, with respect to guidance set by health experts and officials. 

Several Chicago-area schools have already canceled their graduation ceremonies, including the University of Illinois system. The University of Chicago has not yet announced any commencement plan changes.

Our great wish is for these events to occur as planned, but only if we are able to provide students, families, faculty and staff a safe environment in which to gather together to celebrate,” the email said.