Crime up 10 percent in Evanston, violent crime decreases

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

An Evanston Police Department vehicle. Crime in Evanston through November 2019 increased by 10.3 percent compared to the previous year.

Jacob Fulton, Assistant City Editor

Crime in Evanston increased by 10.3 percent from 2018 to 2019 through November, according to the Evanston Police Department’s monthly crime reports. 

While the department is still calculating its December numbers, the statistics through November 2019 are complete and show increases in theft, burglary and motor vehicle theft, by 14.6 percent, 7.5 percent and 34 percent, respectively. There were also decreases in aggressive battery, robbery and arson, signifying a fall in violent crime in Evanston.

Enjoli Daley, EPD’s community engagement coordinator, said the community’s relationship with its police department affects crime trends. She said as EPD continues fostering a positive relationship with residents, she hopes to see crime decrease. 

“We need to build a community, so that interaction is key,” Daley said. “Having open communication affects crime trends, it helps to educate our community and it gives community members an opportunity to feel comfortable enough to come to us with their problems.”

One of the ways EPD connects with Evanston residents is through public notices explaining crime trends. For example, in a Jan. 29 news release, the department said it had seen an uptick in robberies targeting power tools, often in hardware store parking lots, and encouraged residents to secure valuable items.

Evanston police Cmdr. Brian Henry said in addition to opening lines of communication within the community, EPD strives to educate community members about how they can prevent crime.

Henry said it is important for residents to always lock their doors and vehicles and to be methodical in ensuring they don’t leave their belongings unattended. He said often residents can prevent the most common crimes, such as theft, by taking these precautions. 

“When it comes to (violent crimes), we’re really happy with where we’re at,” Henry said. “We’re trying to educate the public and devise plans of our own. Around Northwestern, sometimes we do see an increase in burglaries when the students are gone, especially those students who live off campus.”

Daley said the communication initiatives already in place, and programs such as the biannual Citizen Police Academy, are achieving their goal of increasing crime awareness in Evanston. 

She said EPD plans to continue with its current model, while also looking for more ways to communicate information to the community.

“We plan to just continue to do what we do,” Daley said. “For instance, tweeting out when there is something in progress, tweeting out when there is something going on to the community to be aware about — I think having that and keeping that going is going to continue to help reduce any crime,” Daley said. 

Twitter: @jacobnfulton1