Football: 2020 QB Recruit Aidan Atkinson arrested on sexual assault charges

Charlie Goldsmith and Peter Warren

Northwestern four-star quarterback recruit Aidan Atkinson was arrested Friday on three felony charges of sexual assault, one felony charge of attempted sexual assault and five misdemeanor charges of unlawful sexual contact.

According to police reports, Atkinson allegedly assaulted multiple women — all of them juveniles — on a party bus in September 2018. At the end of August 2019, the Boulder police department began investigating these allegations, interviewing witnesses and those involved in the incident.

Boulder Police Department spokesperson Dean Cunningham said the investigation is nearing its conclusion.

“The case will move through the court system over the coming months,” Cunningham told The Daily.

The news was first reported by the Boulder Daily Camera.

Atkinson, 18, was a juvenile at the time of the alleged incident. He turned himself in to authorities Friday morning, and according to the Boulder Daily Camera, Atkinson will be in custody until he appears in court Monday.

According to The Royal Banner — Atkinson’s high school’s student paper — Atkinson will not be returning to Fairview High School.

The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office released a statement on the matter Friday morning, and Cunningham said part of the hope was to provide others involved in the alleged incident or bystanders the opportunity to come forward with more information.

Atkinson, a senior at Fairview High School in Boulder, committed to play for Northwestern in November 2018. He was named the 2018 Colorado Gatorade High School Player of the Year and is the Colorado high school’s all-time leader in passing yards and passing touchdowns.

According to the CBS affiliate in Denver, Atkinson will not play in Fairview High’s playoff game tonight.

As of 1 p.m. CST, Atkinson was not yet scheduled to appear in court, according to an operating machine at the Boulder County Jail.

Cunningham said the district attorney will have the case from this point forward.

A spokesperson from the athletic department said Northwestern is unable to comment on prospective student-athletes until they sign a national letter of intent.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Twitter: @2021_Charlie

Twitter: @thepeterwarren