Police investigate racial slur sent to D65 schools

Samantha Handler, City Editor

Evanston police are investigating letters containing the N-word that were sent to three Evanston/Skokie District 65 schools, police said

The Chicago Tribune reported on Monday that the District 65 interim superintendents informed families on Nov. 8 that Kingsley Elementary, Park School and the J.E.H. Education Center received “racist and hateful letters.” The letters read “White (N-word) matter,” according to the Tribune.

“These are clear acts of racism, and this offensive and extremely hateful language has no place in our schools,” interim superintendents Phil Ehrhardt and Heidi Wennstrom said in an email to parents. “In District 65, we will not tolerate anything less than kindness and respect for all members of our community.”

District 65 also announced earlier this fall that it will partner with Logan Consulting Services to introduce a new curriculum that addresses the context, history, identity, lived experience and language associated with the N-word. Called the LCS N-word project, the curriculum is a compilation of resources and services, including educator orientation and a seminar for parents or guardians.

The Tribune said the most recent letter was received Nov. 7. Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said the investigation is ongoing.

Twitter: @sn_handler