Artist to seek input for Robert Crown art installation

Emma Edmund, Assistant City Editor

Public artist Blessing Hancock, tasked with creating an art installation for the new Robert Crown Community Center, will seek input from Evanston residents this upcoming weekend, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Hancock creates pieces that encourage interaction through “touch, sound and movement,” according to her website. Evanston’s City Council, in collaboration with the city’s Arts Council, selected Hancock to create the installation, and she will attend three events on Nov. 1 and Nov. 2 to gather community input, according to a city news release.

“The art installation is expected to feature an interactive sculptural shape with etched words that embody the themes of learning, recreation and community within the context of the Evanston community,” the news release stated.

Hancock told the Tribune that the sculpture’s design is based on the community center’s function as both a skating rink and library. She’s looking for suggestions for the words that will eventually be etched into the sculpture.

A city spokesperson told the Tribune that the total budget for the art project is $400,000. The spokesperson said Hancock will receive $325,000. The remaining amount of the budget funds several other components of the project, including coordination and infrastructure for the sculpture’s construction.

“This is going to be a fun activity for everyone who wants their story told… people will be able to go back later and point to their contribution,” Hancock told the Tribune. “There’ll be a lot of sharing in the future.”

The first meeting will occur Friday at 1701 Main St. at the Robert Crown After School Program from 3:30 to 6 p.m. The second and third meetings will be held Nov. 2 at Evanston Public Library from 9 to 11 a.m. and the Robert Crown Flea Market from noon to 3:30 p.m.

Residents who are unable to make the meetings can also submit their suggestions online by 5 p.m. on Nov. 15.

Twitter: @emmaeedmund