Blotter: Boy threatened with knife outside ETHS, man hit in head with child scooter

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A 15-year-old boy was waiting for his father to pick him up near Evanston Township High School around 9:34 p.m. on Sunday when two men allegedly attempted an armed robbery.

The boy was standing near the school, at the 1600 block of Dodge Avenue, when a black SUV pulled into the lot across from where he was standing. Two men then exited the car and ran toward him. They demanded money and one showed a knife, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

The boy ran to an entrance of the high school, with the two men chasing him across the green. The men eventually retreated and the boy’s father picked him up. He told police officers that the two men seemed around age 18-24 and that one was wearing a black hoodie and one was wearing a grey hoodie.

Glew said that there are no suspects and there is no one in custody.

Man hit in head with child scooter

A 50-year-old Evanston resident was at the home of a friend around 5 p.m. on Sept. 20 when he was hit over the head with a child push scooter by a man he already knew.

The man told police officers who responded to the scene that he was seated, but got up after the other man sat down next to him. The other man began cursing and calling the man names, threatening him with a bottle. He then picked up a child push scooter and hit the first man on the head. The first man refused a ride to the hospital and the other man fled the scene.

The first man called the police department around 8 p.m. that night and said he had a slight concussion from the incident. He also gave further details about where the man who hit him with a scooter could be found, possible whereabouts and residence.

On Oct. 16, the offender turned himself in, was interviewed and placed under arrest. He has been charged with one count of misdemeanor battery.