Blotter: Man steals and knocks over customer at Jewel-Osco, attempted theft at Whole Foods

Natalie Chun, Reporter

A 39-year-old employee at the Jewel-Osco located at 1128 Chicago Ave reported a theft around 4:45 p.m. Saturday.

The employee told officers that he saw a man take laundry detergent off the shelf and put it into a black shopping bag that he was holding. After the employee confronted him, the man began walking and then running toward the front of the store, said Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew.

While at the front of the store, the man ran into a 51-year-old customer and knocked him over, dropping the black shopping bag with the items in the process. The man got up and ran out without paying for the items.

The customer was not injured and did not want to seek any further action.

The man was last seen running northbound on Hinman Avenue. The employee described him as being around 6’2”, between 30 and 35 years old with black hair, and wearing a white T-shirt and black sweatpants.

Glew said that there are no suspects and there is no one in custody.

Attempted theft at Whole Foods

A 45-year-old employee at Whole Foods, located at 1640 Chicago Ave reported a theft around 4:50 p.m. Sunday.

The employee said he saw a man in a gray hoodie with a blue shopping bag in the liquor aisle. The man took several items off the shelf and put them into his bag. When the employee confronted the man, he responded, “You got me,” Glew said.

The employee recovered the three bottles of vodka that the man had taken, each priced at $29.99. The man left the store but the employee said he wants the man to be warned not to return, or he will be charged with trespassing.

There is currently no one in custody.