Gov. Pritzker offers capital improvement scheme

Gov.+J.B.+Pritzker.+Pritzker+announced+a+capital+improvement+scheme+that+would+span+six+years.+

Daily file photo by Colin Boyle

Gov. J.B. Pritzker. Pritzker announced a capital improvement scheme that would span six years.

Joshua Irvine, Copy Chief

Gov. J.B. Pritzker has laid out plans for a $41.5 billion capital improvement plan to be paid through tax increases on gas, ridesharing, and other parking- and transportation-related industries.

NPR reported the plan proposes spending $28.6 billion on transportation projects, $5.9 billion on public education facilities and $4.4 billion for deferred maintenance on state facilities, along with other, smaller projects that would span six years. Pritzker would pay for this project by doubling the gas tax, raising rates on rideshares like Uber and Lyft by a dollar, and increasing rates on parking garage usage and license plate fees.

The plan would also provide $400 million for broadband expansion across the state, which would be offset in part by taxing cable and streaming services at a rate of 7 percent. Investments are also planned in renewable energy for state facilities and community health centers, totaling $190 million together.

The Pritzker administration emphasized that the plan was still in drafting stages and had received bipartisan support. “This administration looks forward to continuing to engaging in productive conversations before the proposal is finalized,” spokesperson Jordan Abudayyeh said in a statement to NPR.

Lawmakers have set a target to get the plan through the General Assembly before the end of this year’s session on May 31.

Twitter: @maybejoshirvine