NCAA Proposal 2018-34 on third assistant coaches defeated at NCAA Division I Council

Peter Warren / Daily Senior Staffer

Rocky and Bernice Miller Park, home of Northwestern baseball.

Peter Warren, Print Managing Editor

NCAA Proposal 2018-34 has been defeated at the NCAA Division I Council.

The proposal was set to change the number of countable coaches in college baseball and softball from three to four at the Division I level The move would have allowed volunteer assistant coaches to become full-time assistant coaches, and had near-universal support from coaches in both sports.

Specific vote tallies will be released as part of the Council’s full report next week.

Joanna Lane, National Fastpitch Coaches Association director of education and program development, said in a statement to The Daily that the organization looks forward to the next time the proposal will be voted on by the Division I Council.

“Our member coaches are disappointed in the results of the vote regarding the addition of a fourth countable coach,” Lane said. “95% of softball coaches believed this proposal was a necessary step in advancing the game and welcomed the opportunity to have an additional coach with the ability to participate in off-campus recruiting and other countable activities.”

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, tweeted a response Friday afternoon to the news of the vote. The SEC sponsored the proposal and Sankey wrote a public letter in support of it in March.

Many other coaches, administrators and players have spoken out about the news on social media. This list includes Arizona State head baseball coach Tracy Smith, Georgia head baseball coach Scott Stricklin, Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin, Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, Indiana volunteer assistant baseball coach Casey Dykes and Houston Astros third baseman and MLB All-Star Alex Bregman.

For their responses and more, check out The Daily’s Twitter Moment.

This story will be updated as more information is provided.

Twitter: @thepeterwarren