Police charge Chicago resident with homicide in ‘romantic rivalry’

Back to Article
Back to Article

An Evanston Police Department squad car. EPD officers charged Sandoval Cobian with two counts of first degree murder on Thursday.

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Catherine Henderson, City Editor

Evanston police on Thursday charged a Chicago man with homicide stemming from a March 8 incident.

Officers arrested 38-year-old Sandoval Cobian on March 12 with probable cause in Skokie, EPD Cmdr. Ryan Glew told The Daily. Cobian was brought to Evanston and charged with two counts of first degree murder on Thursday, Glew said.

Last Friday, Evanston Police Department officers responded to a shooting in the 1800 block of Simpson Street at 9:35 p.m. EPD officials identified the man as Chicago resident Angel Miranda. He sustained numerous gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miranda was in the area visiting his girlfriend, who lives in Evanston, Glew said. His girlfriend found him after he was shot and called the police, Glew said.

The investigation led by EPD and the North Regional Major Crimes Task Force found that Cobian was romantically involved with Miranda’s girlfriend.

“It was a romantic rivalry, and jealousy was the motive for the shooting,” Glew said.

Glew said the first count is for first degree murder, and the second count is a murder charge for shooting somebody while inside a vehicle while the victim is outside of the vehicle.

Cobian is scheduled to appear in Bond Court at the Skokie Courthouse on March 15.

Email: catherinehenderson2021@U.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @caity_henderson