Police investigating death of a Chicago resident in Evanston as a homicide

Back to Article
Back to Article

Evanston police are investigating a Friday evening death as a homicide. A man was found dead in the 1800 block of Simpson Street Friday night.

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

Daily file photo by Daniel Tian

Catherine Henderson, City Editor

A Chicago man was found dead Friday night in a yard in the 1800 block of Simpson Street.

Evanston Police Department officers responded to the scene near Twiggs Park at 9:35 p.m., where they found the man, who was later identified as Chicago resident Angel Miranda.

Miranda, 33, sustained seven gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a news release from the EPD.

EPD Cmdr. Ryan Glew told The Daily that Miranda was in the area visiting friends. After his friends saw his car near Simpson street, they found him in the yard and called the EPD, Glew said. The EPD received another call of shots fired 90 minutes before his friends discovered him, leading officers to believe he was killed around 8 p.m., according to the release.

The release not say why Miranda was in the yard. The EPD is investigating Miranda’s death as a homicide.

According to the news release, the case appears to be an isolated incident, and no one is in custody. The EPD has notified Miranda’s family.

Email: catherinehenderson2021@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @caity_henderson