Baseball: Dunn brothers leading NU to success at plate in 2019

Daily file photo by Brian Meng

Jack Dunn rounds third and heads for home. The senior and his brother David have led Northwestern’s offense this year.

Charlie Goldsmith, Sports Editor

Baseball

The season has only been running for three weeks, but it’s already clear that the core of Northwestern’s offensive production will come from two players with the same last name.

Senior shortstop Jack Dunn and freshman outfielder David Dunn have held their own in the lineup through the first seven games. Jack is batting .414 in the leadoff spot, and his brother David leads the Big Ten with a .478 batting average and a .538 on-base percentage.

Heading into a weekend series against Georgia Tech (5-3), the Wildcats (3-4) are averaging 4.9 runs per game and have shown the ability to win a ballgame behind the plate. And so far the Dunn brothers have been leading the team to that success at the plate.

“I think that’s my family’s dream,” Jack said. “(It) has been the dream all along for us to get on the same team and win and play well and play with each other.”

After redshirting last season following an injury early in the year, David is poised to have continued success in 2019. Before getting hurt last year, he started all ten games he played, batted a .324 average and had five RBIs.

For NU, he said he’s had success attacking fastballs to get on base consistently. Following three starts against Duke in a 2-1 series loss last weekend, David said he’s growing more confident in his play.

“Last year, being injured, was the first time I have ever not been on a baseball field,” David said. “You have to learn how to deal with that stress. Honestly, it made me look forward to this season even more.”

Over Jack’s four years, he’s started every game so far for the Cats and has developed into a consistent leadoff hitter. He has a .273 career batting average with 25 doubles and 109 runs scored. Dunn was named to the Third Team All-Big Ten last season, which also included a 14-game hitting streak.

He’s occupied the leadoff spot so far this year, and Jack said it’s the ideal spot to take advantage of his approach at the plate.

“I have just been put there since my freshman year,” he said. “When I am going well I am seeing a lot of pitches and helping the guys behind me figure out what the pitcher’s got. And hopefully I can get on base and steals some bags and create havoc on the basepaths.”

The Dunns will be playing in their home state this weekend against the Yellow Jackets. Georgia Tech lost two of three games last weekend at home against UCLA, but the team is projected to finish near the top of the ACC this season.

To win the team’s first series of the season, coach Spencer Allen said he hopes to see an improved approach at the plate.

“For the most part, I’d like to be a little bit better situationally, but guys did a really good job, we got some two-out hits, so happy with the progression especially against the type of arms we faced.”

Twitter: @2021_charlie