Sugar poured into gas tank of vehicle

Ashley Capoot, Reporter

A 37-year-old Evanston woman reported Saturday that she saw a person intentionally damage her vehicle outside of her residence in the 2400 block of Emerson Street.

The woman said she saw the person approach her car and pour sugar into the gas tank before fleeing in a white vehicle. Sugar is rumored to dissolve in gasoline and cause engine failure, but as a 1994 study at the University of California, Berkeley revealed, it does not always work.

Evanston Police Department officers arrived at the scene and found sugar on the ground and on the gas cap of the vehicle, said EPD Cmdr. Ryan Glew. The woman was able to identify the suspect and said she wants to press charges, he added.

There has been no arrest and no one is in custody.

Man and woman arrested after stealing liquor from store

A 38-year-old employee of Jewel-Osco reported Sunday that he saw a man steal items from the store located at 1128 Chicago Ave.

The employee said a man took two bottles of tequila valued at around $80 before fleeing northbound on Chicago Avenue.

EPD officers located the man at the Dempster Street CTA station with an Evanston woman who was also carrying stolen alcohol, Glew said. The two individuals claimed they had purchased the alcohol at Walgreens but were unable to provide a receipt. The total price of the alcohol was estimated at nearly $140.

Glew said the man and woman were arrested and brought back to the EPD. They were positively identified by the Jewel-Osco employee and charged with retail theft.

Twitter: @ashleycapoot