$3.9 million in alumni donations to benefit SES and SIGP

Daily file photo by Brian Meng

Student Enrichment Services, located in Foster-Walker Complex. SES is expected to receive $2.7 million from two alumni donations.

Cameron Cook, Assistant Campus Editor

Two donations from Northwestern alumni totalling $3.9 million will benefit Student Enrichment Services and the Summer Internship Grant Program, according to a December news release.

Steven Cahillane (Weinberg ’87) and Tracy Tappan Cahillane (Weinberg ’88) recently donated $1.5 million to support “student programming and assistance,” the release said.

In addition, Gita Blumentals Budd (Weinberg ’76, Kellogg ’78) and her husband J. Mark Budd made a $2.4 million estate gift commitment to SES in October, though their names were not released at the time. The University will receive the money upon their deaths.

Between the two gifts, $2.7 million will go to SES, and the remaining $1.2 million is expected to benefit SIGP, the release said.

“With this support, students now and for generations to come will be able to engage in the full Northwestern experience alongside their friends and classmates without worrying about the financial tradeoffs,” SES Director Kourtney Cockrell said in the release.

SES — which provides resources like textbooks, computers and winter coats to low income and other disadvantaged students — first opened its doors in 2014 and has received donations in the past. In Fall Quarter, another donation to SES allowed it to provide qualifying students with free laptops. Before this, laptops were available for loan.

In January 2018, ASG donated a surplus $10,000 to SES, in addition to the $10,000 ASG has donated annually to SES for the past three years.

SIGP, which awards stipends to students participating in unpaid summer internships, has helped fund over 1,700 students since 2007, according to the release.

Both donations count toward the University’s “We Will” campaign, which surpassed its original goal of $3.75 million last September.

Twitter: @cam_e_cook