Perez: Don’t knock the Midwest until you try it

Zamone “Z” Perez, Op-Ed Contributor

When most people think of the Midwest, what comes to mind is a crippled economy, corn and a funny vernacular. As a lifelong resident of the Midwest, I feel like most of those assumptions hit the target most of the time. So, as new students from across the globe begin to adjust to life in the Midwest, they must learn to adapt. Most stereotypes about this place are true, but nothing beats the culture, values and puppy chow of a run-of-the-mill Midwesterner. While it may be derided by most Americans, there are a number of unique reasons students who are new to the Midwest should think of their new home with more appreciation and respect.

With innumerable amounts of corn fields, the views from our interstates showcase the majestic beauty of rugged, plowed land. The lush expanses of greenery you see when driving through the Midwest paints a pristine picture of the landscape that feeds into the can-do spirit of America. A drive down the highway gives us a chance to reflect on our hopes, fears and passions and to see some cows.

Of course, the Midwestern dialect would not be complete without passive-aggressiveness, which is not only accepted — but encouraged. Why would you tell Sally outright that she wears that orange sweater way too often? Instead, just let her know that you love that she wears that orange sweater all the time! No one needs to know how we really feel, so we just give the regular, “Oh, isn’t that nice!” to anyone we do not care to listen to.

Instead of staying inside and isolating ourselves, Midwesterners prefer to partake in a variety of small-town events to get the heart disease pumping. If you choose to take the road less traveled you can stop in and see the greatest festivals in the country. Events ranging from the Rhubarb Festival of Aledo, Illinois to the Rubber Duck Festival of Bellaire, Michigan offer insight into the communal, interpersonal nature of the Midwest, where there is always an excuse to throw a parade. Homecoming, soybeans, labor, Thanksgiving, Halloween and veterans all have reasons to be celebrated. Closing down a major road offers the ability for everyone in the city and the next town over to see the spirit we have for our communities.

Midwestern festivals aren’t the only place to find community or food. Church potlucks offer more than just coming to Jesus. Whether or not you’re religious, the selection at any church function brings tears to your eyes: Cream of potato soup, cheesy hashbrown casserole, five-cheese macaroni and chilled watermelon bring out the best in all of us.

Nothing beats the gritty weather the Midwest deals with. Instead of four seasons, we have the pleasure of experiencing between 10 and 12. The Midwestern temperature boomerangs between the highest of highs and lowest of lows: one day could be 80 and the next 30, not to mention the tragic humidity and strong winds. Needless to say, straightening your hair is not worth it on most summer days. Some other climates may be tough, but few regions pack as much of a punch as this one when it comes to the weather — and we choose to stay here and take it.

But the real icing on the Midwest-is-the-best-region cake is our lovably awkward vernacular. While walking through the grocery store, probably in an effort to grab the ranch, someone might say, “Ope, let me squeeze right pastcha there.” Although we are passive aggressive, the Midwest has a drawl and tone that reminds most outsiders of a nice heated blanket and chocolate chip cookies. After all, there is a reason our voices are the most comforting to hear on the radio.

The Midwest is a vibrant, robust region that displays kindness, hospitality and humility. We offer a simple kind of living, no matter the city, hamlet or suburb. Though we may be competing to grow the best corn, we still look out for each other. With these attributes, one can only recognize the Midwest as the best region in the United States. So, if you’re new here, on behalf of us all, welcome to the Midwest!

Zamone “Z” Perez is a Medill freshman. He can be contacted at [email protected]. If you would like to respond publicly to this op-ed, send a Letter to the Editor to [email protected]. The views expressed in this piece do not necessarily reflect the views of all staff members of The Daily Northwestern.