Men’s Basketball: Four-star, top-100 recruit Robbie Beran announces commitment to Northwestern

Daily file photo by Keshia Johnson

Chris Collins claps on the sidelines. Collins’ 2019 recruiting class currently features one four-star recruit and one three-star recruit.

Peter Warren, Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball

One day after securing the commitment of three-star recruit Jared Jones, Northwestern copped its third — and highest ranked — commit of the 2019 recruiting class so far.

Robbie Beran announced his commitment to the Wildcats on Twitter on Monday. Beran is a 6’9” power forward out of Richmond, Virginia and is a four-star recruit, according to multiple recruiting services. Beran is ranked No. 78 by 247Sports, No. 97 by Rivals and No. 100 by ESPN.

On Sept. 25, Beran had cut his list of schools down to three — NU, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. According to 247 Sports, he had visited Atlanta in August and was set to visit Blacksburg, Virginia this upcoming Friday after spending time in Evanston this weekend.

Over his recruiting process, Beran received over 30 offers, including five from Big Ten foes. According to 247 Sports, the Virginia native is the best player to ever commit to the Cats. His 0.9700 rating is slightly higher than the 0.9654 grade given to freshman forward Pete Nance.

With the commitment of Beran, NU now has the No. 25 ranked recruiting class in the country and fifth-best in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports. The class includes Beran, Jones and unranked point guard Daniel Buie. If the Cats finish No. 25 nationally and No. 5 in conference, it would be the best finish in the recruiting rankings for the program.

Twitter: @thepeterwarren