Blotter: Man charged with DUI, multiple traffic violations

Julia Esparza, Copy Chief

Police arrested a 26-year-old Franklin Park man in connection with driving under the influence at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in west Evanston.

The man was driving north on Crawford Avenue when an officer observed his vehicle turn its signal on too late before changing lanes and then weaving left over the yellow line, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. When the officer pulled the vehicle over in the 3300 block of Central Street and asked the driver for his insurance and license, he was unable to produce either.

The officer noticed the man had glassy eyes, delayed speech and smelled of alcohol, Glew said. The officer also saw a case of Bud Light beer in the back seat of the vehicle.

The man failed field sobriety tests and refused a breathalyzer test. After police arrested the man, the officer found two open beers inside the vehicle, Glew said.

Police charged the man with driving under the influence, alcohol transportation by driver, driving without insurance, driving on a suspended or revoked license, failing to use turn signal and driving with an expired registration sticker.

Woman reports laptop computer stolen

A 30-year-old Evanston woman alerted police Wednesday that her laptop had been stolen in the 2200 block of Sherman Avenue.

The woman told police she had ordered a Dell laptop valued at $1,060 that was supposed to be delivered by UPS on April 30. She said she never received or signed for the package and when she alerted UPS to the incident, they said an unknown person signed for it, Glew said.

The woman, who reported the theft at about 2 p.m., did not know who would have taken the package and there was no video surveillance in her building, Glew said.

Police do not have any suspects at this time.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10