Bienen awards pianist Marc-André Hamelin with prize in piano performance

Gabby Birenbaum, Assistant Campus Editor

The Bienen School of Music awarded pianist Marc-André Hamelin its Jean Gimbel Lane Prize in Piano Performance, according to a Northwestern news release.

The prize is awarded every other year to pianists who have received high levels of recognition, the Wednesday release said. It includes a $50,000 cash award, two residency periods at Bienen and a public recital.

Hamelin’s first residency — in which he will engage with students and faculty through lectures and music coaching — will take place May 1-3, 2019, with his recital occuring May 3. His second residency will occur during the 2019-20 academic year.

“It was a truly unexpected pleasure to be offered the Jean Gimbel Lane Prize in Piano Performance this year, and I am deeply honored to be in such illustrious company,” Hamelin said in the release. “I know these residencies will be a wonderful opportunity to interact with students and the musical community, and I intensely look forward to this experience.”

Hamelin is known for his technique in classical music performance. In the 2017-18 concert season, Hamelin, a Montreal native, played at Carnegie Hall, with the Seattle Symphony and at Yale University. He records for Hyperion Records.

Bienen Dean Toni-Marie Montgomery praised Hamelin’s musicianship and said she is excited to welcome him to campus.

“Marc-André Hamelin is a virtuoso of the highest order,” Montgomery said in the release. “His selection as the winner of the Jean Gimbel Lane Prize in Piano Performance continues the Bienen School’s tradition of recognizing exceptional artists with this prestigious prize.”

Twitter: @birenbomb