Blotter: Des Plaines man charged with attempt to disarm police officer, aggravated resisting police

Syd Stone, City Editor

Officers charged a Des Plaines man Wednesday with one count of attempting to disarm a police officer — a felony — and three counts of aggravated resisting police.

A bank manager at the Chase Bank, 635 Chicago Ave., called Evanston police to report a suspicious circumstance at about 8:10 a.m. when he noticed people sitting on a 2016 Hyundai Sonata, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

Officers located and stopped the vehicle and then made contact with the driver, a 28-year-old Des Plaines man. Glew said officers observed what might have been narcotics in the car when the man grabbed the substances, put them in his mouth and swallowed them.

Glew said officers tried to stop the man from destroying the evidence but were unsuccessful. The man then fled in his vehicle and was not chased by Evanston Police Department, Glew said.

Later that day, officers saw that his vehicle had crashed into a building at Main Street and Fowler Avenue. Glew said officers then engaged in a foot pursuit of the suspect when the Des Plaines man tried to grab an officer’s gun. The man was tased and a few officers needed to receive medical treatment.

The man is in police custody and his court date has not yet been set.

Officers respond to calls of shots fired

EPD officers responded to several reports of shots being fired in south Evanston on Tuesday night.

Glew said officers arrived at a woman’s residence in the 200 block of Richmond Street at about 9:30 p.m. and found 10 shell casings and bullet holes in the woman’s property.

The 56-year-old Evanston woman’s residence was not occupied during the time the shots were fired and no one was hurt, Glew said. Officers spoke to several witnesses, one of whom saw two male subjects running away from the property.

The witnesses were unable to identify any suspects, and the police department does not have anyone in custody, Glew said.

Twitter: @sydstone16