Blotter: Man arrested in connection with possession of cannabis, unlawful use of a weapon

Julia Esparza, Copy Chief

Police arrested a Chicago man Wednesday in connection with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of cannabis.

The man was driving in the 500 block of Sheridan Road at about 1:54 a.m when an Evanston police officer pulled him over. The officer determined the man was driving the car with a suspended license due to an insurance violation, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said.

While approaching the vehicle, the officer smelled cannabis and asked the driver to step out of the vehicle, Glew said. The man admitted to the officer that he had smoked earlier in the night.

Upon searching the vehicle, the officer found a loaded gun and under 2.5 grams of cannabis, Glew said.

The man was charged with unlawful use of a weapon, possession of cannabis and driving on a suspended license.

Convenience store theft reported in downtown Evanston

An employee of Davis Pantry — located at 927 Davis St. — called the Evanston Police Department at about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday to report a retail theft.

The 59-year-old man said four men entered the store and two of them took items and left without paying. One man took a package of M&M’s and the other took a can of 7UP, Glew said.

Responding officers canvassed the area and did not find anyone fitting the description of the suspects.

Twitter: @juliaesparza10