Police: Man takes hammer to fitness studio window

A shattered store window at Pure Barre, 910 Church St. A man broke the window with a hammer on Wednesday night.

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Nikki Baim, Reporter

A 62-year-old man was charged Wednesday in connection with damage to property in downtown Evanston.

A Pure Barre employee called police to investigate criminal damage at 7:54 p.m., Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew said. The employee told police she was behind the studio’s front counter at 910 Church St. when a man in a coat with fur approached the store entrance from outside.

The man did not enter the studio, but struck the front window several times with a hammer, Glew said. After causing significant damage, he fled on foot. Officers at the scene observed small holes and cracks in the front window, Glew said.

The employee told officers that about two hours prior to the arrest, the same man came into the exercise studio and asked the employee when they closed, Glew said. The employee told him they close at 8 p.m. and he left.

Police located the man in the 900 block of Church Street at 8 p.m., Glew said. Officers stopped him and found a hammer in his possession. The man was charged with criminal damage to property.

Packages stolen from apartment

Police are investigating an apartment burglary that occurred between 9 a.m. Monday and 6:26 p.m. Wednesday.

A 37-year-old resident who lives in the building in the 800 block of Hinman Avenue reported Wednesday that packages were missing from the common area, Glew said.

The suspect forced entry into the building and has not been identified, Glew said.

Email: nikkibaim2020@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @nikkibaim