Northwestern Dining brings mystical world of ‘Stranger Things’ into Foster-Walker dining halls

Amy Li, Reporter

Northwestern Dining plans to transform Foster-Walker Complex dining halls into the bizarre and thrilling world of the popular Netflix original series “Stranger Things” this Thursday.

The Feb. 1 event — which NU Dining calls “Curious Things” — will take over the entire Foster-Walker dining facility. Students can enjoy an 80s-style feast surrounded by “Stranger Things” themed decor.

Jim Betsanes, a unit marketing specialist for NU Dining, told The Daily that themes from the show, like camaraderie and acceptance, particularly resonated with NU Dining.

“(‘Stranger Things’ is) about all these friends who come together and get through a lot of adversity together,” Betsanes said.

Betsanes said menus will vary between the West and East wings of Foster-Walker. With an additional charge of $3, students can gain access to two VIP rooms with specialty desserts, beverages, games and activities, according to the NU Dining website. Students can gain access with meal swipes, Dining Dollars or Cat Cash.

“It gives us a chance to really drive some traffic and do some menu changes.” Betsanes said.

Betsanes said the 80s were all about convenience and comfort, and NU Dining is working toward replicating that. The menu will include items like an Eggo waffle decorating station, buttermilk fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, macaroni and cheese, diner-style burgers and milkshakes.

The event will also accommodate vegans and vegetarians with options like chickpea meatloaf, green beans and roasted corn, Betsanes said.

Betsanes said different departments of the dining program are working together to incorporate imagery from the alternate dimension, the “Upside Down,” from the Netflix series into the experience.

“We’ll have a pineapple upside-down cake,” Betsanes said. “That one was a no-brainer.”