Police investigate reports of armed robberies

Police+vehicles+in+downtown+Evanston.+EPD+is+investigating+an+armed+robbery+and+an+attempted+armed+robbery+that+both+occurred+Monday+afternoon.+

Colin Boyle/Daily Senior Staffer

Police vehicles in downtown Evanston. EPD is investigating an armed robbery and an attempted armed robbery that both occurred Monday afternoon.

Ryan Wangman, City Editor

Police are searching for suspects in an armed robbery at 920 Chicago Ave. and an attempted armed robbery at 1630 Orrington Ave. that occurred late Monday afternoon, Evanston police Cmdr. Ryan Glew told The Daily.

Lucy Sinkler, who owns the CloseKnit Yarn Store at 1630 Orrington, said a man came in and threatened to shoot the people in the shop if they didn’t open the cash register. Sinkler said she got very “annoyed” and yelled at the man, causing him to run northbound on Orrington. Northwestern Chief of Police Bruce Lewis said in an email to students that the man showed a gun in his waistband and demanded money.

Sinkler was with a customer and a coworker when the incident occurred.

Lewis said in the email that the man was described as a “very thin male in his 50s” wearing dark, baggy jeans, a dark jacket and a blue shirt.

In the armed robbery at 920 Chicago Ave., the location of Thrift House, Glew said he estimated approximately $300 was taken just before 5 p.m.. At the location, Glew said the gun was displayed in a waistband.

Police are canvassing the area for video surveillance, Glew said.

No one is yet in custody, Glew said, and no one was injured in either robbery attempt. Police believe the robberies are connected, he said.

Colin Boyle contributed reporting.

This story was updated at 7:45 p.m. with information from Lewis and at 8:10 p.m. with additional information from Glew.

Twitter: @ryanwangman