Northwestern Symphony Orchestra to tour Asia, marks first international tour in school history

Jane Recker, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Over spring break, Northwestern’s top orchestral students will go on a three-city tour of Asia to showcase their talents to an international audience, the University announced in a news release.

The Northwestern Symphony Orchestra, which hand-selects students from the Bienen School of Music, will visit Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong from March 25-31, the release said. It is the first international tour for the orchestra.

The tour, “Northwestern University Symphony on Tour: Asia 2018,” was funded by an anonymous donor and was organized by Bienen, the Buffett Institute for Global Studies and the Northwestern Alumni Association, the release said.

The group will perform their tour program for a Northwestern and Evanston audience in Pick-Staiger Concert Hall on Feb. 3, according to the release. The concert will feature Mahler’s Symphony No. 5 and “Symphonic Dances” from Leonard Bernstein’s “West Side Story.”

The program will be conducted by Maestro Victor Yampolsky, the director of orchestras at NU who has led NUSO since 1984.

University President Morton Schapiro and his wife, Mimi, will attend the concerts in Beijing and Shanghai, the release said.

Twitter: @jreck96