Northwestern wins 8 building design awards

Daily file photo by Alec Carroll

The Kellogg School of Management Global Hub at 2211 Campus Dr. Kellogg Prof. Ben Harriss was nominated for assistant Secretary of economic policy on Thursday.

Ally Mauch, Assistant Campus Editor

A local nonprofit recognized seven Northwestern buildings with eight design awards in categories ranging from landscape design to new construction, according to a Wednesday news release.

Design Evanston, an organization that aims to promote good design, announced awards for 28 local buildings.

On campus, the Patrick G. and Shirley W. Ryan Center for the Musical Arts was the only building to win two awards, one for landscape design and the other for new construction. The Dearborn Observatory, an administrative building located at 720 University Place, The Garage, the Kellogg School of Management Global Hub, the Ryan Field west parking lot and the Shakespeare Garden received one award each.

During the last announcement of awards in 2015, NU buildings collectively won two awards, the release said.

The Global Hub, which opened in March, won an award for interior design, as the building’s “fluid” form gives it the sense of “structure in motion,” according to the release.

“The sculpted, undulating form weaves around the building, revealing multi-level terraces and nestled spaces that foster informal social activity and business education collaboration,” the release said.

The Dearborn Observatory received an award in the rehabilitation/renovation/restoration design category. The observatory, a “historic gem,” underwent renovations in 2015 and 2016 that included repairs to the building’s windows, sections of the roof and the wrought iron walkway, according to the release.

The Shakespeare Garden, renovated in spring 2016, won in the landscape design category. The garden, added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1988, is maintained by the Garden Club of Evanston.

A previous version of the caption on this story misstated how many buildings won design awards. Seven buildings won awards. The Daily regrets the error.

Twitter: @allymauch