Ron Braeutigam to step down as associate provost for undergraduate education

Erica Snow, Campus Editor

Ron Braeutigam, associate provost for undergraduate education, will step down from his position at the end of this academic year, the University announced Wednesday.

Following a year on leave, Braeutigam will serve as the Harvey Kapnick Professor Emeritus in the economics department, according to a news release.

Braeutigam, who assumed his position in 2006, collaborated with different administrators and students to improve the undergraduate academic experience, the release said. He has served as an economics faculty member since 1975.

“I’ve learned much about the student perspective from many people, among them my own daughter, Julie, who was an undergraduate at Northwestern,” Braeutigam said in the release. “It’s easy to be excited about helping students when you think of them as though they were members of your own family.”

Braeutigam also helped create multiple offices, including the integrated Office of Undergraduate Learning Abroad and the Office of Global Safety and Security, which supports students, faculty and staff traveling abroad, according to the release.

Provost Jonathan Holloway said in the release the University wishes Braeutigam well, and that he’s had a “remarkable career.”

“Ron Braeutigam has provided extraordinary service to the provost’s office and to the entire University,” Holloway said. “I appreciate very much his dedication to undergraduate education, his deep understanding of Northwestern and his tireless efforts to improve our academic offerings.”

Twitter: @ericasnoww