NU students appear unaffected by Supreme Court decision to allow travel ban

Madeleine Fernando, Reporter

The status of Northwestern students does not appear to be affected by the Supreme Court’s announcement to hear the case on President Donald Trump’s immigration order, University vice president and general counsel Phil Harris said.

On Monday, the Supreme Court announced it would review Trump’s revised travel ban and allowed the ban to take partial effect. Trump’s revised travel ban order in March temporarily banned citizens of six predominantly Muslim countries from entering the U.S.

Although the ban will be partially implemented, the court said the ban would not be enforced against people who have “a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States,” including students admitted to U.S. universities, according to The New York Times.

According to the website of NU’s International Office, the executive order does not apply to lawful permanent residents of the U.S. “by its terms.” However, students who have travel planned or have questions are encouraged to contact the International Office.

Harris said the International Office is responding to every call and email to help individuals address their concerns. The University will continue to offer resources — including free legal services for those in need — he said.

“We understand that this time is filled with worry and uncertainty,” Harris said in an email. “Northwestern leadership takes these concerns very seriously, and we are monitoring these events carefully to ensure we have the very best support and updated information in order to assist our students and scholars.”

The Supreme Court will hear the Trump administration’s appeal in the fall, according to The New York Times.

Twitter: @madeleinemelody