Evanston Police Department announces ‘significant arrests’

Sophie Mann, Digital Development and Recruitment Editor

The Evanston Police Department announced three “significant arrests” from the past week in a Monday news release.

The first arrest occurred Wednesday afternoon, as members of EPD’s Neighborhood Enforcement Team were patrolling in the 7700 block of Paulina Street. The officers observed a 21-year-old Evanston man rolling a cannabis cigar, according to the release.

When the man and a passenger exited the vehicle, officers found the cigar and a loaded .40 caliber handgun.

Both were transported to the station; the driver was charged with a felony for the use of a weapon by a felon, and a misdemeanor for possession of cannabis. The passenger was released without being charged.

Evanston man arrested in connection with predatory criminal sexual assault of a child

The second arrest occurred Thursday at a correctional facility in Indiana where EPD’s Juvenile Bureau detectives apprehended an Evanston man in connection with a sexual assault investigation, according to the release.

During the investigation — which began last month — detectives determined that in 2010 the 30-year-old resident began sexually assaulting two family members who were then 7 and 11 years old. No further information was released due to the age of the children.

According to the release, the man was charged with seven total counts of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child and one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse — all felonies.

Twitter: @sophiemmann