Blotter: Woman charged with aggravated battery after kicking 3-year-old boy

Sophie Mann, Digital Development and Recruitment Editor

A woman was arrested Friday after kicking a 3-year-old boy in line at the Walgreens in west Evanston.

The boy’s caregiver said she was standing in line at the Walgreens — in the 2100 block of Green Bay Road — when the child began to cry, claiming a woman had kicked him, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. When the caregiver asked the woman what had happened, she denied kicking the boy.

The woman left the store and was stopped by officers on Ridge Avenue and Simpson Street, but was not arrested at the time, Dugan said. After reviewing security camera footage, detectives discovered that the woman had in fact kicked the child — who was knocked forward roughly five feet by the blow.

The woman was then charged with aggravated battery of a child under 13, a felony.

Teenager arrested in connection with disturbing peace

A 13-year-old Evanston resident was arrested Saturday night in connection with disturbing the peace following a physical altercation in east Evanston.

A detective was flagged down around Church Street and Sherman Avenue because of a multi-person fight, Dugan said. Most of the group dispersed upon the detective’s arrival, but the 13-year-old girl refused, telling the group they didn’t have to listen to the detective.

After the detective tried to de-escalate the altercation, the girl began yelling profanities, Dugan said. A patrol officer helped take her into custody where she was turned over to a juvenile detective and charged with disorderly conduct.

Twitter: @sophiemmann