‘La La Land’ producer Jordan Horowitz to speak at Northwestern

Source: Jordan Horowitz on Facebook

Mariana Alfaro, Print Managing Editor

Jordan Horowitz (Communication ’02), producer of Academy Award-winning film “La La Land,” will return to Northwestern on May 23 for a screening of the film and a Q&A hosted by Studio 22.

Horowitz, co-founder of film and television company Original Headquarters, received a theater degree from NU 15 years ago and has since gone on to produce films such as “The Kids Are All Right” and “Miss Stevens.”

Communication sophomore Tyler Gould, Studio 22 co-president, said the group is excited to bring Horowitz to campus because of his young but fruitful career in Hollywood. The producer, Gould said, is “up and coming.”

“He’s a Northwestern alum and he is super successful, and we thought that’s super cool,” he said. “He’ll be able to talk about his experiences transitioning into the film industry.”

“La La Land,” which tells the story of two young artists trying to make it in Hollywood, won six Academy Awards, including Best Director for Damien Chazelle and Best Actress for Emma Stone. With 14 nominations, “La La Land” is tied with “Titanic” and “All About Eve” for most Oscar nominations received by a single film.

It was Horowitz who, during this year’s Oscars, gave the Best Picture award to the film “Moonlight” after it was mistakenly given to “La La Land.” Gould said the incident isn’t the reason the group invited Horowitz, but Gould is aware people will recognize him as the person on stage who clarified the error.

Megan Ballew, Studio 22 co-president, said she’s interested in hearing about Horowitz’s breakthrough in the film industry, something she said NU’s Radio, Television and Film students regularly think about.

Ballew, a Communication sophomore, said it’s “crazy” how important Horowitz is in the Hollywood community right now.

“It’s so scary to think, ‘How did you do that?'” she said. “He’s done it. He’s there, it’s crazy how big he is, what he’s done, so just hearing from, what he has to say and how he got there, we think it will be an awesome experience.”

The screening and Q&A will be held at Leverone Auditorium in the Donald P. Jacobs Center on May 23. The screening will begin at 5:30 p.m., with doors reopening at 7:50 p.m. for the 8 p.m talk. Tickets are required for entry and will be distributed by the Norris Box Office starting Tuesday.

Twitter: @marianaa_alfaro