Jennifer Luttig-Komrosky named executive director of residential services

Jennifer+Luttig-Komrosky+is+the+new+executive+director+of+residential+services%2C+as+of+Feb.+20.+Prior+to+coming+to+Northwestern%2C+she+served+a+similar+role+at+the+University+of+Chicago.+

Source: Jennifer Luttig-Komrosky

Jennifer Luttig-Komrosky is the new executive director of residential services, as of Feb. 20. Prior to coming to Northwestern, she served a similar role at the University of Chicago.

Ally Mauch, Reporter

Jennifer Luttig-Komrosky became the new director of residential services Feb. 20, coming from a background of 20 years in university housing at various institutions.

Luttig-Komrosky will oversee the implementation of the Northwestern Housing Master Plan, which involves the investment of $500 million into improving the student residential experience, including plans for the construction of new residence halls and full renovations of some current facilities.

Most recently, Luttig-Komrosky served as the executive director of college housing and residential services at the University of Chicago. Karen Warren Coleman, former vice president for campus and student life at UChicago, hired Luttig-Komrosky in 2011 during a period of organizational change in the university’s housing program, which is similar to the NU Housing Master Plan.

“She is unflappable,” Warren Coleman said. “Jennifer was one of my most trusted colleagues and one of my strongest student advocates.”

Her experience working with faculty-in-residence at UChicago will also help as NU transitions from having four faculty members live on campus to 10 as part of the housing plan, said Paul Riel, assistant vice president for residential and dining services.

Riel said Luttig-Komrosky’s diverse and extensive experience in similar roles prepared her for her new position at NU.

“Jennifer will continue to bring a significant lens of experience from her previous institutions that will help us keep the interests of students at the center of what we are doing,” Riel said.

Beyond the master plan, Luttig-Komrosky said she aims to reenvision the undergraduate experience and look at it holistically as she moves forward as the executive director. Her priority is to connect with students, she said.

“I love to hear from students,” Luttig-Komrosky said. “It is why I do this.”

Luttig-Komrosky said she is most excited about participating in student life and looks forward to attending student events and experiencing some of the NU traditions, such as March Through the Arch during Wildcat Welcome.

Jean Bingham, former associate vice president of auxiliary services at the Illinois Institute of Technology, hired Luttig-Komrosky as the school’s director of housing and residential services in 2007. Bingham said she remembers Luttig-Komrosky for her advocacy on behalf of students.

“I am hopeful that students are really going to understand that she is in their corner,” Bingham said. “She is going to do what she needs to do to make the students’ success her top priority.”

Riel agreed that Luttig-Komrosky’s passion for students and their development is evident.

“She is incredibly thoughtful and cares deeply about the student experience,” Warren Coleman said. “Northwestern is lucky to have her.”

Twitter: @allymauch