Samantha Bee to speak at Northwestern

Matthew Choi, Campus Editor

Comedian and late-night show host Samantha Bee will speak at Northwestern Feb. 28 as A&O Productions’ spring speaker in an event co-hosted by College Democrats and One Book One Northwestern, A&O announced Tuesday.

As the host of “Full Frontal with Samantha Bee,” a satirical political commentary show on TBS, Bee became the first woman to star in a comedic late-night news show when it launched in 2016. She previously worked as a correspondent on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.”

Bee will speak at Cahn Auditorium at 8 p.m. in an interview moderated by journalist Rebecca Traister (Weinberg ’97), said Will Corvin, co-chair of A&O. Students will be able to submit questions for Bee prior to the event through a Google form. Tickets will be available from the Norris Box Office for $10 at a date that has yet to be announced.

Samantha Rose, co-president of College Democrats, said she was eager to have a speaker who could use humor to speak about political issues.

“For College Dems, this one is a no-brainer,” the Communication senior said. “Samantha Bee has become an incredibly prominent voice in the political sphere as satire and the world of politics become ever closer together.”

Corvin said A&O was eager to invite Bee following the election of President Donald Trump, which sparked political activism on campus and across the country.

“This is going to be a great show,” the Weinberg senior said. “Hopefully a lot of good comedy with thought provoking quotes, and we’re excited to bring that to Northwestern.”

Twitter: @matthewchoi2018