U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky, state Rep. Robyn Gabel hold onto seats

Nora Shelly and Ben Winck

U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and Illinois Rep. Robyn Gabel (D-Evanston) were both re-elected by large margins Tuesday night.

Gabel and Schakowsky celebrated their victory’s at Tommy Nevin’s Pub, 1450 Sherman Ave.

Schakowsky won by a margin of more than 19 points in suburban Cook County. Schakowsky defeated challenger Joan McCarthy Lasonde of Wilmette, Ill. Lasonde, who did not have any previous political experience, ran on a fairly moderate platform.

It will be the 10th term for Schakowsky, who has been in office since 1999 and previously served eight years in the Illinois State Legislature. Schakowsky said she was very happy to be voted in by such a wide margin.

“The field operations we put together out of the 9th congressional district is unparalleled,” Schakowsky said. “I would stack what we’ve done here against any other congressional district. I think that really paid off.”

Gabel won by a margin of 15,496 votes. Gabel was appointed to the seat in 2010 and previously spent over 20 years in the nonprofit sector. When speaking on her reelection, Gabel thanked her large group of student supporters.

“I want to thank the Northwestern students who really came out great for me,” Gabel said. “I really appreciate it, and I would like to meet all of you and shake your hands.”

Gabel’s opponent Jessica Tucker served as a Winnetka village trustee and as village president, totalling eight years of governmental service in the village.

Tucker ran on a fairly moderate platform, supporting background checks on gun purchases, pension reform and environmental work.

In addition to Schakowsky and Gabel’s wins, Democratic state comptroller candidate Susana Mendoza won the position from incumbent comptroller Leslie Munger, who was appointed by Gov. Bruce Rauner. Mendoza won 54.7 percent of the against Munger’s 39.3 percent.

Twitter: @noracshelly