Police Blotter: Man charged with battery to police officer, resisting arrest

Robin Opsahl, City Editor

A man was charged with battery to a police officer, as well as resisting arrest and driving on a suspended license Wednesday.

Around 7:30 p.m. officers observed a car sitting in the middle of an alley while patrolling the 1800 block of Main Street, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. When officers pulled up behind the vehicle, the car moved into a parking space to let them pass. However, when officers drove by they recognized the driver, a 21-year-old Evanston man, for having a suspended license. They stopped the man, told him he was under arrest and to get out of the car.

The man told officers he was not going into the police car “without a fight” and that “they’re going to have to earn their money,” Dugan said. The man resisted efforts by the officers to place him in the back of the police car by making his body stiff and digging his feet into the ground. When one of the officers reached down to grab the man’s leg, he struck the officer multiple times with his foot. Police eventually got him in the car and brought him into the police station, Dugan said.

Dugan said the man was charged with three misdemeanors for battery, resisting arrest and driving on suspended license, and he received a citation for blocking the alley. His court date is set for June 30.

Shots fired reported on Lee Street

Officers investigated Wednesday a report of shots fired in the 1200 block of Lee Street, five blocks from Washington Elementary School.

Around 9:25 p.m., a 49-year-old man reported the shots fired from Lee Street, Dugan said. The man was in the house with his 48-year-old wife and 18-year-old son when someone shot five bullets on the street, which entered through their front kitchen window. There were no injuries, Dugan said.

No one had observed anything besides the sound of the gunshots and the evidence that came through the residence’s window, Dugan said. There are currently no suspects.

Twitter: @robinlopsahl