Police Blotter: Man charged with cocaine possession

Juliet Freudman, Reporter

Evanston police charged a 44-year-old Zion, Illinois resident Saturday night in connection with possession of cocaine.

Police first pulled over the man, Anthony D. Henley, in his car near Green Bay Road and McCormick Boulevard because one headlamp was not working. Henley attempted to drive away as the officer was speaking to him, but when his car stalled, he ran off and threw a white object wrapped in plastic into nearby water, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Police arrested Henley and recovered the thrown object, which was 290 grams of suspected cocaine. They found an additional 3.7 grams of suspected cocaine and more than $6,000 from the suspect.

In addition to the felony charge, police are also charging Henley with traffic citations for improper lighting and leaving a vehicle unattended in the road.

Burglary reported while resident out of town

Police are looking into a home burglary that took place in the 1900 block of Colfax Street on Thursday evening.

The 53-year-old resident was out of town at the time, and the burglary was reported by the woman’s dog sitter, Dugan said.

The dog sitter reported that between 4 p.m. and 11 p.m. the offender entered through the rear bedroom window, which was pried open. The stolen items and their values are unknown.

There are no suspects yet, Dugan said.

Twitter: @girlwhojumped