Police Blotter: Burglar steals $9,500 in cash, jewelry from Dodge Avenue home

Jeremy Margolis, Reporter

A burglar made off with $8,000 in cash and $1,500 worth of jewelry from a house in the 800 block of Dodge Avenue on Saturday night, police said.

The burglar broke in through the front door between 6 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and ransacked the house, Evanston Police Department spokesman Perry Polinski said.

The 51-year-old homeowner told police he returned home to find a safe containing $6,000 missing from a closet. $2,000 from a dresser drawer and miscellaneous jewelry were also missing, Polinski said.

Police do not have a suspect and there is no indication this was a targeted crime, Polinski said.

Man caught stealing $600 in alcohol from Jewel-Osco

A man was caught on surveillance camera stealing $600 worth of alcohol from Jewel-Osco, 2485 Howard Street, on Friday afternoon, police said.

A customer reported to staff he had seen a man place bottles in his coat and bag, Polinski said. Staff members said they played back the surveillance footage, which corroborated what they had been told, Polinski said. Two managers then followed the man out of the store, Polinski said.

The managers confronted the suspect at the intersection of Howard Street and Kedzie Avenue where he was waiting at a bus stop with a woman, Polinski said. The man dropped his bag of alcohol and the pair fled southbound on foot, Polinski said.

Police searched the area but could not locate the two, Polinski added.

Twitter: @jeremyrmargolis