Police Blotter: Wallet stolen from downtown Evanston athletic center

Marissa Page, City Editor

A Chicago man’s wallet was stolen from an LA Fitness in downtown Evanston by an unknown individual Tuesday afternoon, police said.

The 38-year-old man arrived at LA Fitness, 1618 Sherman Ave., to exercise at approximately 2:45 p.m., according to Evanston Police Department spokesman Perry Polinski. The man left his wallet in the pocket of his pants, which he kept in an insecure locker, Polinski said.

Upon returning to the locker at around 3:20 p.m., the man found that his wallet — which contained his license, credit card and roughly $150 in cash — had been taken from the pocket, Polinski said.

Detectives are investigating the incident, and Polinski said there were currently no suspects.

Several instances of similar graffiti reported

Police received a report Tuesday morning of new graffiti in two locations in the city.

At about 9:20 a.m., EPD received report of the graffiti via Text-a-Tip, the department’s anonymous tip line through which Evanston residents can alert police to suspicious activity in the city.

Polinski said officers discovered a building and trash can at 110 Custer Ave., as well as a building at 701 Howard St., had been vandalized with largely illegible writing in white paint.

There are no suspects at the time, and police believe the incident is unlikely to be gang-related, Polinski said.

Twitter: @marissahpage