Football: Northwestern named top academic program in CFP top-25, report says

Back to Article
Back to Article

Northwestern players celebrate after beating Illinois on Nov. 28. NU was named the top academic school in the College Football Playoff rankings top-25, according to a New America report.

Daily file photo by Luke Vogelzang

Daily file photo by Luke Vogelzang

Daily file photo by Luke Vogelzang

Alex Putterman, Assistant Gameday Editor

Football

Northwestern is the top academic program in the College Football Playoff rankings top-25, according to an annual report by New America published on Time.com.

New America, a Washington think tank, compiles its rankings based on a team’s graduation success rate, a measure of graduation that doesn’t punish schools for players who transfer or leave early for the NFL.

With a 97 percent GSR, NU ranked ahead of Notre Dame, Stanford and Clemson.

The Wildcats had 39 academic all-Big Ten players this season.

The No. 13 Wildcats will take on the No. 23 Tennessee Volunteers in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1.

Correction: A previous version of this article mischaracterized the New America report. Northwestern’s football team is the top academic program in the College Football Playoff rankings top-25. The Daily regrets the error.

Email: asputt@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @AlexPutterman