Mudd Library’s upcoming renovations to expand building vertically, horizontally

Mustafa Alimumal, Reporter

Mudd Science and Engineering Library is next in line for a facilities revamp, with work beginning around December.

The construction will enlarge the library by adding two floors to the current three-story building and will increase space on each floor, new and existing. With a focus on collaboration and augmented laboratory facilities, the renovations will spur long-term growth of research and faculty.

The project aims to work on adding about 150,000 square feet to the library, with existing floors increasing by 75 percent.

The construction will also shift pedestrian traffic to north of the library using various safety signs. However, despite the expansion of the top three floors’ science research laboratories and the collaborative student-study zones in the rest of the building, Mudd’s main library will stay on the second floor.

Once the project is finished, the library will boast a new ground-floor entrance and a connection to the main library from a two-level atrium. However, it will retain its key passageways to the Technological Institute and Cook Hall with new scientific features like climate-controlled space for experimentation and a computational laboratory. In addition, there will be a new wet laboratory and a research advising area.

The University said in a news release the goal of the construction is to fuse library and laboratory resources to create new opportunities for student teamwork in academics.