Police Blotter: Woman charged with DUI after minor car accident

Joanne Lee, Reporter

A 45-year-old woman was arrested Wednesday afternoon after she was involved in a car accident while driving under the influence of alcohol.

The woman sideswiped another vehicle with the passenger’s side of her car but had no recollection of the incident when confronted by police, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. Police arrived at the scene of the accident in the 1200 block of Chicago Avenue at about 1 p.m. and conducted a field sobriety test, which the woman failed.

Police found an open bottle of alcohol in the woman’s car, Dugan said.

The woman and the other driver were not injured, but police called an ambulance to transport the woman to Evanston Hospital to be examined for possible head injuries and intoxication, he said.

The woman was charged with a misdemeanor for driving under the influence and received three traffic citations for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, transportation of open alcohol and improper lane usage. The woman is scheduled to appear in court Nov. 24.

Thousands of dollars of technology stolen from house close to campus

More than $3,500 worth of possessions were stolen Wednesday night from a residence near campus.

The 21-year-old male resident told police he returned to his home in the 800 block of Hamlin Street at about 10 p.m. to find a Northface backpack, Xbox, 20 Xbox games, a Xbox controller, a Apple MacBook laptop, various cables, UE Bluetooth speakers and $15 missing. These items were valued just under $3,700.

Police suspect the burglar crawled in from an open window, Dugan said. He said he did not know if the man was a Northwestern student.

E-mail: [email protected]
Twitter: @leehjoanne