Police Blotter: Man found with marijuana, cocaine hidden in pants

Joanne Lee, Reporter

A 24-year-old man was arrested Wednesday evening in connection with possession of cocaine and marijuana.

Police approached the man at about 5:15 p.m. when he parked his car in a lot near Howard Street and Western Avenue, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. Police said they recognized the man, for whom they had an active arrest warrant for violating his probation, Dugan said. After observing the man shoving something down his pants and noting a strong marijuana smell, police took the man into custody, he said.

Police found 16.8 grams of marijuana and 5.8 grams of what police suspect to be cocaine in the man’s pants, Dugan said.

The Evanston resident was charged with felonies for unlawful possession of a controlled substance with an intent to deliver, unlawful possession of cannabis and cannabis possession with an intent to deliver.

Flute worth $8,000 among stolen items in central Evanston burglary

Two 23-year-old women came home late Thursday night to find almost $10,000 worth of possessions stolen.

One of the women returned to her house in the 2100 block of Wesley Avenue at about 9 p.m. to find her bedroom light on and window open, Dugan said. The woman reported hearing loud footsteps in the backyard, and police said there was a chair positioned under the window outside the house.

An $8,000 silver Miyazawa flute was among the stolen possessions. Other missing items included an Apple MacBook Pro, ASUS laptop and about $250 in cash, Dugan said.

Twitter: @leehjoanne