Football: Senior defensive tackle Sean McEvilly announces retirement due to injuries

Bobby Pillote, Reporter

Senior defensive tackle Sean McEvilly will retire from football due to “chronic orthopedic issues,” Northwestern announced Wednesday.

“This has been an extremely difficult conclusion for Sean to reach,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said in a news release. “He’s been an outstanding leader and mentor for his teammates whether on or off the field the last several years, and will continue to be a big part of this team.”

McEvilly’s health troubles began in 2013 when he saw action in just five games. He was expected to be a key part of the defensive line rotation the following season but instead missed all of 2014 after undergoing surgery in late August to repair a foot injury.

After being granted an additional year of eligibility by the NCAA, McEvilly was projected as a starter on the defensive line this season prior to his retirement. Seniors C.J. Robbins and Max Chapman will likely take his spot on the depth chart.

“It’s disappointing to not be on the field opening camp this week, but this is the right decision not just for my health and future, but for the team,” McEvilly said in the release. “I will leave here as a two-time graduate of this university and will always be a Wildcat.”

The defensive tackle finishes his career with 13 starts in 19 games played, 29 tackles and 3.5 tackles for loss. An Academic All-Big Ten honoree, he has already finished his undergraduate degree in Economics and will continue to pursue a master’s degree in management studies.

Email: bpillote@u.northwestern.edu
Twitter: @BobbyPillote