Police Blotter: Eight burglaries to vehicles in the past week

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

Eight vehicles in the same area of south Evanston were broken into in the past week.

All burglaries occurred between Tuesday at about 6 p.m. and Wednesday at about 11 p.m. All of the vehicles were unlocked except one, which was forced open somehow, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said.

Four of the break-ins were in the 1700 and 1800 block of Dobson Street, while the rest took place one block away in the 1600 and 1800 block Brummel Street. Owners of seven of the vehicles reported to police that nothing had been taken, while one reported $3 in quarters missing, Dugan said.

“There has definitely been an uptick in (vehicle burglaries), but the vast majority of them are all unlocked cars,” he said. “A way of cutting them down is if people would lock up their cars.”

Two teenagers charged with burglary

Two teenage boys were arrested early Wednesday morning in connection with a burglary from both a garage and vehicle parked in south Evanston.

Officers stopped the 15-year-old boys, one from Chicago and the other from Evanston, while they were riding bicycles in the 800 block of Dodge Avenue at about 4 a.m. The boys were found carrying a garage door opener and a small television monitor and were taken to the police department for curfew violations.

An Evanston resident then reported at about 7:45 a.m. that someone had stolen a garage opener from her unlocked car and used it to steal two bicycles from her garage in the 1500 block of Crain Street. Police confirmed that the stolen items were the same as those that the boys were carrying earlier that morning.

The teenagers were charged with curfew violations and burglary as well as burglary to a motor vehicle.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj