Police Blotter: Man arrested in battery case from weeks ago

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

A 46-year-old man was arrested Tuesday morning in connection with hitting a female acquaintance and throwing a cup filled with alcohol at her on a central Evanston street in mid-July.

The woman, a 23-year-old Evanston resident, was walking with a different man near Lyons Street on July 16 at about 1 a.m. when an acquaintance approached and started hitting her, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said The attacker, with whom the woman said she had personal issues, then threw a red plastic cup filled with alcohol at her, Dugan said.

When the man she was walking with tried to break up the fight, the attacker took out a knife and stabbed him in the forearm before departing, he said.

Officers discovered the attacker Tuesday at about 6 a.m. in the 1700 block of Lyons Street, later charging him with two counts of misdemeanor battery. He was not charged with the stabbing because the man who was allegedly attacked did not cooperate with police, Dugan said.

The attacker, a Des Plaines resident, is set to appear Sept. 2 at the Skokie Courthouse.

Man stabbed while attempting to break up fight

A 31-year-old man was stabbed in the arm early Wednesday morning in central Evanston while breaking up an altercation between two friends.

Police were called to Skokie Hospital at about 5 a.m., where the man was being treated for a half-inch cut to his right forearm, Dugan said. The Skokie resident told police he had been with a couple of friends near Emerson Street and Hartrey Avenue when they started fighting, he said.

The man would not cooperate with police, refusing to identify either of the men involved, Dugan added.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj