Northwestern Graduate School names interim dean

Craig Bina, a professor of geological sciences, will serve as the interim dean of The Graduate School from October until the end of June.

Source: The Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences

Julia Jacobs, Summer Editor

Craig Bina will act as dean of The Graduate School and associate provost for graduate education during current dean Dwight McBride’s absence starting in October and lasting until the end of June.

Bina, a professor of geological sciences in Weinberg’s department of Earth and Planetary Sciences has previously served as Northwestern’s associate dean for research and graduate studies, associate dean for undergraduate studies and advising as well as interim chair of his department.

“His extensive experience as an academic leader at Northwestern, along with his in-depth understanding of graduate students issues across many disciplines, will provide students, faculty and postdoctoral fellows with outstanding leadership throughout the coming year,” said Provost Daniel Linzer, who appointed Bina to the position, in a news release.

Bina will lead The Graduate School in current priority areas such as implementing graduate stipend levels and diversifying the student population.

“This is a great opportunity to work with the TGS leadership team and staff to continue forward with recent initiatives supporting graduate education at Northwestern that will benefit both graduate students and the University community,” Bina said in the news release.

McBride, a professor in the African American Studies department, is taking a nine-month leave of absence to serve as the 16th Mellon Distinguished Scholar in Residence at the American Antiquarian Society, an independent research library.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj