Police Blotter: May 14

Paige Leskin, Managing Editor

Evanston resident arrested in connection with Home Depot theft

Police charged a 46-year-old man Monday with stealing more than $675 worth of goods from a Home Depot in Evanston, officials said.

Officers were called to the Home Depot, 2201 Oakton St., around 2:35 p.m. Monday for a report of a theft, Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan said. The store’s 27-year-old security agent told police the Evanston man had put a battery, a garage door opener and other products in his shopping cart before covering the cart with his coat, officials said. The man then pushed the cart past the last point of sale and was stopped by the security agent, Dugan said.

The items the 46-year-old tried to steal were valued at a little under $676, Dugan said. Police charged the man with felony retail theft, for which a court date has not yet been set, officials said.

Tools stolen from apartment complex’s garage

Someone kicked open the door of a garage in a west Evanston apartment complex and stole a number of tools from inside, police said.

A maintenance worker at the complex in the 2000 block of Brown Avenue told officers someone had burglarized the garage between 7 p.m. Monday and 6 a.m. Tuesday, Dugan said.

The person took various power tools, including an electric hammer and an electric screwdriver, valued all together at around $400, police said. There are surveillance cameras on the property that officers have not yet reviewed, Dugan said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin