Women’s Tennis: Wildcats stumble against ranked Yellow Jackets

Senior+Lok+Sze+Leung+fires+a+serve.+Leung+and+No.+5+Northwestern+are+looking+to+rebound+after+their+tough+loss+to+the+Yellow+Jackets.+

Daily file photo by Sean Su

Senior Lok Sze Leung fires a serve. Leung and No. 5 Northwestern are looking to rebound after their tough loss to the Yellow Jackets.

Bobby Pillote, Sports Editor

Women’s Tennis

Northwestern never found its footing in a midweek match on the road.

The No. 23 Wildcats (10-6, 5-2 Big Ten) were stumped by the No. 35 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (10-7, 6-4 ACC) in Atlanta, losing the doubles point and dropping the match 5-2.

Senior Lok Sze Leung and freshman Alex Chatt won the only two points for the Cats in their respective singles matches. Leung cruised past opponent Kendal Woodard in two sets, while Chatt battled Georgia Tech’s Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer into an extra set and won 10-8.

NU’s other four singles players — junior Alicia Barnett, sophomore Brooke Rischbieth and freshmen Rheeya Doshi and Erin Larner — each lost their matches in two sets. Only Larner and Doshi had sets closer than 6-3.

The Cats’ doubles pairs didn’t fare much better. The No. 70 pairing of Doshi and Rischbieth won the only doubles match for NU, 8-4, over the Yellow Jackets’ Alexis Prokopuik and Anton-Ohlmeyer. No. 39 Barnett and Larner fell to No. 17 Woodard and Paige Hourigan, and Chatt and Leung couldn’t hold their ground against Rasheeda McAdoo and Johnnise Renaud.

The team will stay on the road this weekend for conference matches with No. 61 Minnesota and Wisconsin before returning home to wrap up the regular season against Iowa and Nebraska.

Twitter: @BobbyPillote