SESP junior named Udall Scholar for environmental efforts

Tyler Pager, Campus Editor

SESP junior Renee Wellman was awarded a Udall Scholarship on Tuesday in recognition of her environmental efforts. She is the first Northwestern student to win the award in five years.

Wellman will receive $5,000 toward her academic fees for next year and also attend a conference in Tucson, Arizona, this August. Wellman is one of 50 students to receive the scholarship. She will join the other winners at the conference, where they will meet with environmental leaders.

Wellman is the co-president of Wild Roots, the student-run garden on campus, and a member of the varsity cross country team. These two facts, together, made her a compelling candidate for the scholarship, said Jason Kelly Roberts, assistant director of the Office of Fellowships.

Roberts said Wellman’s connection between her experience as a runner and her work in the garden shaped her desire to transform public spaces so they are more environmentally friendly.

Wellman said she was honored to receive the award and is looking forward to meeting other environmental leaders this summer. She said the conference will allow her to learn about what other college students are doing on their campuses and possible open up job opportunities for the future.

“I could definitely see myself working in some type of nonprofit focused on the environment or possibly some type of local government position, again, to make cities more sustainable,” she said.

Twitter: @tylerpager